Saturday 5 July 2014

Cara Penggunaan Present Simple tense dan Present Continuous

Grammar I
Present Continuous ( I am doing )
Present Simple ( I do/ she does)
Use the present continuous to talk about something which is happening at or around the time of speaking: ( the action is not finished )
 The kettle is boiling. Can you turn it off?
    Listen to the people. What language are they speaking?

Contrast on adverb of time
Where’s Tom? He’s playing tennis right now.
Silvia is in Britain for three months. She is learning English.

Use the present continuous for temporary(yg bersifat sementara) situation:
I’m living with some friends until I can find a flat.
That machine isn’t working. It broke down this morning.
Use the present simple to talk about thing in general or things which happen repeatedly:

Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.
 Excuse me, do you speak English?



Tom plays football every Saturday.
Most people learn to swim when they are children.

Use the present simple for a Permanent(yg bersifat tetap) situation:
My parents live in London. They have been there for 20 years.
That machine doesn’t work. It hasn’t work. It hasn’t worked for years.

Do you still remember ?
She ……(cry) when you come here
She…….(cry) when you are here.

The exception on present continuous
a.       Beberapa kata kerja hanya bisa digunakan dalam present simple tenses. I.g anda tidak bisa mengatakan “ I am knowing”. Anda hanya bisa mengatakan “I know” dibawah ini adalah daftar kata kerja yang tidak wajar digunakan dalam present continuous tense.
Want               like                  belong             know               suppose           remember       hurt
Need               love                 see                   realize             mean               forget              break
Prefer             hate                 hear                believe             understand     seem                lose
b.      Present continuous with a future meaning
“I am going to bed now. Good night!”
When you talk about what you have already arranged to do, use the present continuous (I am doing). Do not use the present simple (I do).
-A  : what are you doing tomorrow evening?
  B : I’m doing to the theater.
-A  : Are you playing football tomorrow?
  B : Yes, but tom is not playing football. He has hurt his leg.
It is also possible to use going to(do) in these sentence:
What are you going to do tomorrow evening?
Tom is going to play tennis on Monday afternoon.

“I’ve lost my key again. I am always losing thing.”
I’m always losing thing doesn’t mean that I lost thing every time. It means I lost thing to often, more often than normal.
You are always watching television. You should do something more active.

Practice! In this case, you have to decide whether the verbs in these sentences are right or wrong!
(……)Look! Somebody is climbing up that tree over there.
(……)Can you hear those people? What do they talk about?
(……)Are you believing in God?
(……)Look! That man tries to open the door of your car.
(……)The moon goes round the earth.
(……)I am thinking it would be a good idea to leave early.
(……)The government is worried because the number of people without jobs is increasing.

(……)I am usually going to work by car.


Delivered by English tutor 

0 comments:

Post a Comment